4th of July Fire Safety
With Independence Day on its way, many communities look forward to celebrating the USA's freedom with a bang! Literally. While fireworks are a fun way to show some national pride, they can be extremely dangerous to homes and businesses, especially in wooded areas.
Whether you are in your backyard or at a local show, here are some tips from the US Forest Service on what to do if a fire flares up near you:
- Remain calm.
- Move flammable materials such as wood to a safe place away from the house.
- Close the garage door, but leave it unlocked (an electric door may need to be disconnected from the power source to move manually).
- Open the entrance of your yard to facilitate the access of the firefighters and vehicles.
- Shut off any fuel tanks and gas cylinders.
- Close all exterior vents, exterior doors (do not lock them), and windows.
- Make sure all garden hoses connect to a faucet with a nozzle set on SPRAY.
- Do a headcount to make sure that all family members are safe and accounted for
Enjoy your 4th of July weekend and call SERVPRO of Greensburg at (724) 837-8830 for any smoke, water, or fire damage cleanup!